27 replies to this topic

#1 TaPPeR

TaPPeR

Semi Sweet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 04:45 AM

OK, while the topic is "Why I hate Shoprite" I will have to say there are many good qualities about it. Price and staff among them.

I guess it is not all Shoprite that I hate. It's  the layout and the people who shop there the most ...

1: The people who park there regular cart in the center of the isle then give you a dirty look as you squeeze by.

2: The old people who don't know or just don't care and seem to meander around like an alzheimer's patient on crack.

3: The parents with that damned kiddie cart.

4: The fact that they decide to stock at busy times during the day blocking isles with pallets.

5: Later at night they seem to close the express lines early - leave one open FOR THE LOVE OF GOD :)

6: Parking and the vultures searching for the perfect spot. I really do not need to say more.

I have a few more but will be the better person and refrain from commenting on them as they could be considered impolite at the least :)

#2 Robyn

Robyn

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,707 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 05:51 AM

TaPPeR, on Jun 22 2007, 05:45 AM, said:

OK, while the topic is "Why I hate Shoprite" I will have to say there are many good qualities about it. Price and staff among them.

I guess it is not all Shoprite that I hate. It's  the layout and the people who shop there the most ...

1: The people who park there regular cart in the center of the isle then give you a dirty look as you squeeze by.

2: The old people who don't know or just don't care and seem to meander around like an alzheimer's patient on crack.

3: The parents with that damned kiddie cart.

4: The fact that they decide to stock at busy times during the day blocking isles with pallets.

5: Later at night they seem to close the express lines early - leave one open FOR THE LOVE OF GOD :)

6: Parking and the vultures searching for the perfect spot. I really do not need to say more.

I have a few more but will be the better person and refrain from commenting on them as they could be considered impolite at the least :)

View Post

My major gripe is they should have ALL plastic carts due to the fact metal carts can damage cars.  The parking is horrendous on the top of the parking lot.  Try getting your shopping bags out of the car and balance the cart at the same time.

I love when shoppers take their empty carts and push it down the parking lot so it can accidentally hit a car but if it happens to them they will sue you for damage to their car.  Tapper, if older people meander through the isles maybe that is their social life and that is their day or evening out, someday we can all be that way.
I have witnessed express lanes closing at 5pm.  I also feel that there should be another major competitive supermarket, and I do not mean the new food market soon to open in the CTM for me that is not competition

#3 Keith Ahearn

Keith Ahearn

Experienced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 08:01 AM

Robyn, on Jun 22 2007, 06:51 AM, said:

I also feel that there should be another major competitive supermarket, and I do not mean the new food market soon to open in the CTM for me that is not competition

View Post

We did have "competition" in the CTM when Staples was a supermarket (I forget the names).  However, they didn't last there.

Shoprite is moving towards the plastic carts if you noticed.  They have new ones with computers that help you locate items and even scan for prices.

I can't blame Shoprite for the people who stop in the middle of an aisle and then give dirty looks when asked to move so you can get around them.  That's not the store's fault.  It's the fault of the inconsiderate and selfish buttheads doing the shopping.

As for the parking lot vultures, those are everyone.  People are too damn lazy to walk so they drive around looking for the closest spot.  Again, this is everywhere (go to any mall on Saturday and you'll see it).  I'd suggest you have some fun with them like I do.  When you're coming out of the store and heading to your car and you see someone following you for your spot, pretend you're parked really close.  Take your keys out and slow down as you approach the nearest car.  The knucklehead thinking he/she is about to get a premium spot will stop and wait thinking you're about to get in your car and leave.  Then, keep walking past the car and go to yours.  It's a small thing I know but it gives me a laugh anyway.

#4 Robyn

Robyn

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,707 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 09:48 AM

Keith Ahearn, on Jun 22 2007, 09:01 AM, said:

We did have "competition" in the CTM when Staples was a supermarket (I forget the names).  However, they didn't last there.

Shoprite is moving towards the plastic carts if you noticed.  They have new ones with computers that help you locate items and even scan for prices.

I can't blame Shoprite for the people who stop in the middle of an aisle and then give dirty looks when asked to move so you can get around them.  That's not the store's fault.  It's the fault of the inconsiderate and selfish buttheads doing the shopping.

As for the parking lot vultures, those are everyone.  People are too damn lazy to walk so they drive around looking for the closest spot.  Again, this is everywhere (go to any mall on Saturday and you'll see it).  I'd suggest you have some fun with them like I do.  When you're coming out of the store and heading to your car and you see someone following you for your spot, pretend you're parked really close.  Take your keys out and slow down as you approach the nearest car.  The knucklehead thinking he/she is about to get a premium spot will stop and wait thinking you're about to get in your car and leave.  Then, keep walking past the car and go to yours.  It's a small thing I know but it gives me a laugh anyway.

View Post

Hi Keith, Jules Supermarket is what you were referring to.  They sucked.  Example needed stuffing for my turkey for the Thanksgiving holiday.  Guess what?  Not in stock amongst other items.  Knew they could not last.  The competition I am talking about is FoodTown, A&P a well known supermarket.  I have noticed the plastic carts but not enough, I have made suggestions to courtesy for years.  I made a complaint that some knucklehead threw the cart and it went smack into a brand new car, thank goodness not mine but thinking it could have been mine and nothing was done for years.  That incident happened 2 years ago and manager said that plastic carts are expensive.  The owner of shoprite has plenty of money and lets everyone know about it just like when his wife gave birth to their first child they had a computer with pictures of wife and newborn in the lobby.  Those metal carts are so antiquated especially how the parking lot is on a hill and those carts can roll into another car.  Very poor planning from the builder land should have been leveled, and as far as the owner of Shoprite goes, not caring about customers cars.  BTW, speaking of new supermarkets, a new Indian Supermarket is opening up in the CTM are you aware of it?  I may go there ocassionally for specialty items but that is the only time I will shop there, they could not make a killing from my household shopping.

#5 P_Pennyford

P_Pennyford

400 Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:26 AM

Hey, how about many of the good points at Shoprite?  Here are some of my favorites:

1.  The Clare Family, operators of Shoprite, are very generous people.  They donate cash, food, and supplies to all causes regularly.  Even more so, when there is an emergency such as the recent floods.

2.  They hire the handicapped more extensively than any other company I know of.  Stop & Shop does also to some extent.

3.  They give me free airline miles added to my frequent flyer account for every dollar I spend there - regardless of whether I pay in cash, debit, or credit card.  All you have to do is to give them your frequent flyer card number and presto, you are accumulating miles for every dollar spent.  If you're not doing it, you are losing plenty of miles for what you are spending on food, etc.

4.  They employ many young, high school workers.  This is good for the community, is it not?

5.  They have the best prices going.

6.  They stand behind their products with a "no hassle" return policy.

PS  They did have some competition when Grand Union was alive and well in Oakland.

#6 Yansee

Yansee

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:55 PM

"    3.  They give me free airline miles added to my frequent flyer account for every dollar I spend there - regardless of whether I pay in cash, debit, or credit card.  All you have to do is to give them your frequent flyer card number and presto, you are accumulating miles for every dollar spent.  If you're not doing it, you are losing plenty of miles for what you are spending on food, etc."

Where do I get a frequent flyer card?  We haven't flown in years, maybe we are missing a lot of free trips.  This sounds too good to be true!

#7 j.f. muggs

j.f. muggs

300 club

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 12:01 PM

Tapper,

Can I sugget a more suitable name for the topic?  Something like "why I hate shoppers" or "why I hate shopping".  The things you mention happen at most every mall and I don't think it fair to connect these with just one store.  Especially not a terrific store like shoprite.  You can change the title using the edit feature.

#8 pete!

pete!

Trout Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing

Posted 23 June 2007 - 02:17 PM

Actually, I prefer Shop Rite...I usually brave the downtown Oakland traffic in spite of the fact  it would be a lot less hassle (and quicker) to make a turn at Franklin Ave and go to Stop&Shop....

BUT This morning:

I took a cart and tried to enter the store. Some kid (SR Employee) accosted me and said I should use the cart he was offering. I kept moving.

As I approached the egg section, another kid (SR Employee) tried to make me to take a survey. Tough to check for cracked eggs & select while on the move, but I managed to avoid taking a survey.

As I was putting the produce into my vehicle, still another kid waited until my hands were full and tried to hand me a phamphlet about Crystal Lake or something. He appeared to be placing them under the wipers of other vehicles (probably not a SR employee, but....).

Can't they just let me shop? If I need help, I know where the Customer Service counter is.....

#9 Robyn

Robyn

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,707 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 05:58 AM

Some shoppers are very inconsiderate with their carts in the parking lot.  Shoprite has  cart racks to place all the carts when they are ready to leave.  Some people are so lazy and leave it next to cars.  It only takes less than 2 minutes to put  it away.  Besides walking is great excercise. For the most part  I do like Shoprite and I find all the employees are quite friendly and the prices are good.

#10 TaPPeR

TaPPeR

Semi Sweet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 12:50 AM

j.f. muggs, on Jun 23 2007, 01:01 PM, said:

Tapper,

Can I sugget a more suitable name for the topic?  Something like "why I hate shoppers" or "why I hate shopping".  The things you mention happen at most every mall and I don't think it fair to connect these with just one store.  Especially not a terrific store like shoprite.  You can change the title using the edit feature.

View Post

I could but I wont. I stated in my post the disclaimer. And honestly of all the places I shop locally, Shoprite of Oakland takes the cake as a bad experience. Shoppers suck in general, but that place (Shoprite) due to its design and such brings it out even more. They create the madness, We just add to it.

#11 Robyn

Robyn

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,707 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 08:18 AM

TaPPeR, on Jun 25 2007, 01:50 AM, said:

I could but I wont. I stated in my post the disclaimer. And honestly of all the places I shop locally, Shoprite of Oakland takes the cake as a bad experience. Shoppers suck in general, but that place (Shoprite) due to its design and such brings it out even more. They create the madness, We just add to it.

View Post

Speaking how some shoppers add to the madness?  There was a person who was leaving the parking lot (this is another time I had witnessed how inconsiderate some people can be) he threw his cart into another car and laughed.  I took his drivers license and gave it to the police.

#12 Robyn

Robyn

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,707 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 08:20 AM

Robyn, on Jun 25 2007, 09:18 AM, said:

Speaking how some shoppers add to the madness?  There was a person who was leaving the parking lot (this is another time I had witnessed how inconsiderate some people can be) he threw his cart into another car and laughed.  I took his drivers license and gave it to the police.

View Post

CORRECTION! LICENSE PLATE NUMBER!

#13 TaPPeR

TaPPeR

Semi Sweet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:32 AM

Robyn, on Jun 25 2007, 09:20 AM, said:

CORRECTION! LICENSE PLATE NUMBER!

View Post

HAH, I didn't pick up the typo at first. NICE one :)

#14 j.f. muggs

j.f. muggs

300 club

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 04:38 PM

TaPPeR, on Jun 25 2007, 12:50 AM, said:

View Post

I asked.  You answered.  Thanks for that.

#15 TaPPeR

TaPPeR

Semi Sweet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 03:27 AM

j.f. muggs, on Jun 27 2007, 05:38 PM, said:

I asked.  You answered.  Thanks for that.

View Post

Anytime :) I like the way I look in type - heheh

I always try and answer even when I realize I am wrong. That rarely happens :)

#16 j.f. muggs

j.f. muggs

300 club

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 11:45 AM

TaPPeR, on Jun 28 2007, 03:27 AM, said:

I always try and answer even when I realize I am wrong. That rarely happens :)

View Post

Well, there's another thing we have in common. ;)

#17 Spirit_Of_Danny

Spirit_Of_Danny

200 club

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 03:39 PM

j.f. muggs, on Jun 28 2007, 11:45 AM, said:

Well, there's another thing we have in common. ;)

View Post

I got it Muggs, you are just following the golden rule of your species?  

"Monkey see, monkey do."

#18 j.f. muggs

j.f. muggs

300 club

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:20 PM

Spirit_Of_Danny, on Jun 28 2007, 03:39 PM, said:

I got it Muggs, you are just following the golden rule of your species?   

"Monkey see, monkey do."

View Post

“Monkeys are superior to men in this: when a monkey looks into a mirror, he sees a monkey.” -- Malcolm de Chazal

#19 BillLamb

BillLamb

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:40 PM

j.f. muggs, on Jun 28 2007, 09:20 PM, said:

“Monkeys are superior to men in this: when a monkey looks into a mirror, he sees a monkey.” -- Malcolm de Chazal

View Post

Two questions for Mr. Muggs from an ignorant human being.

First one is:  What are you smoking in that pipe?

Second one is:  Why do your kin eat the fleas they pick off of others?

Both of these have kept me awake at night, so your answers will put me to sleep.

Thanks.

#20 j.f. muggs

j.f. muggs

300 club

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:02 PM

BillLamb, on Jun 28 2007, 09:40 PM, said:

Two questions for Mr. Muggs from an ignorant human being.

First one is:  What are you smoking in that pipe?

Second one is:  Why do your kin eat the fleas they pick off of others?

Both of these have kept me awake at night, so your answers will put me to sleep.

Thanks.

View Post

1.  The pipe is just a prop.  Smoking is bad for you.
2.  Because they taste good

PS - you should have better things to keep you awake at night.  B)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users